Our History

The first parish school was built in 1876.  A new school was built the following

year due to a fire burning the first to the ground, the new structure was built in

brick.  This building is still being used as the Parish Hall.  The Sisters of Mercy came to

Grenfell in 1885.  Enrolment numbers were 140 students at this time.

 

Due to an increase in student numbers a new school building was erected In 1915. 

This serviced both Primary and Secondary students until 1961 when it was  decided

that the school would only cater for Primary students.

 

The first lay Principal, Miss Carol Howlett was appointed to St. Joseph's in 1975. 

In 1977 after 90 years of service in the Grenfell community

the last Sister of Mercy retired.

1992 saw the complete refurbishment of the school including a new administraion block.

2006 saw the construction of 2 new classrooms.

2010 saw the refurbishment of the Admin area and the development of our current school library.

2017 saw the upgrade of all heating and cooling systems in all classrooms around the school.

  

Current enrolement is 49 students with three classes in operation.